New Delhi: The BJP on Monday welcomed the DERC’s decision to extend the date for filing objections to the proposal for power tariff hike and accused Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal of “approving the move”.
“We welcome the decision of DERC (Delhi Electricity Regulatory Commission) to extend the last date for filing objections to the proposal for power tariff hike submitted by the Delhi government and its private partners in power discoms after the objections filed by Delhi BJP last week,” Delhi Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) President Manoj Tiwari said here.
He alleged that the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) government had connived with its partners to unduly hike the power tariff in Delhi by 30 per cent and silently submitted a proposal before DERC.
Hitting out at the Delhi Chief Minister, the BJP MP from northeast Delhi said: “The Delhi government has about 50 per cent stake in power discoms. So the private partners cannot submit any proposal of hike without informing it.
“Hence it is well established that the power tariff hike had prior approval of Kejriwal,” Tiwari alleged.
The BJP leader also said the DERC was working with a single member for last 18 months but the government has avoided appointing other two members.
“It will be morally unfair for a single-member bench to consider such a major hike. It should defer hearing till the full bench is set up,” he said.
He also said that the BJP will not let the Kejriwal government-headed power discoms to raise power tariff until it brings out a white paper on discoms accounts.
“The discoms are minting huge profits every year,” he added.