Telangana

CM will lay foundation stone for Textile Park on Sunday

CM will lay foundation stone for Textile Park on Sunday

Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao will lay foundation stone for the much-awaited “Kakatiya Mega Textile Park” at Shayampet Haveli village under Geesukonda mandal in Warangal rural district on October 22.

According to a pressnote from the Chief Minister’s Office, KCR will lay the foundation stone at 2 pm for the textile park and also participate in other developmental programs, including Warangal Outer Ring Road and parallel Road Over Bridge (ROB) at Kazipet, IT Incubator Center expansion work in Madikonda. Later, the Chief Minister will address a public meeting. 

           

Telangana is one of the largest producers of long staple cotton with production of around 60 lakh bales per annum. The State stood at third position in the country in cotton production during the year 2015-16. The State is known for skilled Textile workers but due to absence of industry, they migrated to other States for their livelihood. There are 33 spinning mills with capacity of 10 lakh spindles, which consumes only about 20% of the cotton grown in the State and the rest 80% going to other States for spinning. Capacity utilization of weaving industry in the State is negligible and there was not much processing capacity available in the State. There is no further downstream facility like processing and garmenting. Most of the cotton goes to the neighbouring States for value addition.

The availability of high cotton production and labour force presents an immense potential to create large integrated Textile manufacturing capacities in the State. This will also support overall industrial development in the State along with value addition in the drive for job creation. TSIIC proposes to set up the Kakatiya Mega textile park (KMTP) Project in Warangal district of Telangana for which IL&FS Cluster Development Initiative (IL&FS Clusters) has been engaged as Project Consultant.

The KMTP is proposed to be located in a district which is a major cotton producing district and trading centre in the State. The region has a strong presence of Textile clusters (Warangal Durries) and skilled manpower. The proposed Project envisages ploughing back economic benefits of the Park to the local populace by catering to all activities in the Textile value chain. Due to the large size of the Project, a long-term strategy shall be adopted for the complete implantation of KMTP. The phasing approach shall not only help in ensuring sustainable development of the Park but also in ensuring availability of  fabric, accessories and man power for 75% of sales value of garments. (NSS)