Health

Doctors place metallic stent in 10-year-old who swallowed sulphuric acid

Doctors place metallic stent in 10-year-old who swallowed sulphuric acid

New Delhi: A kid-sized metallic stent was successfully placed across

the narrowed part of the oesophagus (food pipe) of a 10-year-old boy

who swallowed sulphuric acid by mistake in Kolkata.

The boy was unable to swallow his own saliva, leave aside food and

water after the acid, which he had mistaken for a cold drink, burnt

his food pipe.

Due to his inability to eat for nearly a month, the 10-year-old

suffered from malnutrition and weighed a mere 20 kgs. His health was

deteriorating when he was referred to Medica Superspecialty Hospital

by the doctors of a local hospital.

After examining the child and seeing the barium swallow X-ray, the

doctors found he had a severely narrowed lower-end of the oesophagus

with the contrast barely entering the stomach, the hospital said.

An upper GI (gastrointestinal) endoscopy dilated the narrowing and a

feeding tube, popularly known as Ryle’s tube, was placed through the

narrowing area into the stomach for the feeding so as to correct his

malnutrition.

After a month, the narrowed part of the oesophagus was dilated, but

simultaneously the doctors detected a suspected fistulous

communication between the stricture and the left bronchus

(respiratory tube).

With the stricture seemingly tight, the doctors decided simple

dilation with a balloon would be difficult, but the child was able to

take liquids after two more sessions.

The parents wanted to go with the stent placement procedure to avoid

major surgery, explained the hospital’s director, gastroenterology,

Pradeepta Kumar Sethy.

Once the dilation sessions were over, the metallic stent placement

was done in the patient’s oesophagus under general anaesthesia.

With the stent placed, the child had a dramatic recovery.

After two weeks, he resumed his normal activities like going to

school, and within six weeks the stent was recently removed. Post

this, he was under the observation of GI team for over a month.

—IANS