Floor of Indonesia’s stock exchange collapses, injures scores

Floor of Indonesia’s stock exchange collapses, injures scores

Jakarta: At least 75 people were injured when part of the first floor of Indonesia’s stock exchange building collapsed, according to multiple media reports, sending people running for cover.

A cascade of glass, metal and other material crashed onto the ground floor when part of the mezzanine level gave way.

Local television news channels aired footage showing people panicking and screaming as officials tried to evacuate the venue amid piles of debris and mangled metal around a coffee shop, Xinhua news agency reported.


Dozens of those injured, mostly women, have been sent to hospitals.

The collapse occurred shortly after the conclusion of morning stock trading at 12.10 p.m. local time.

Later, the country’s stock exchange administrator ordered resumption of trading.

Those hurt mostly sustained injuries to their legs and arms, said Jakarta police spokesman Argo Yuwono.

“The accident happened at the first floor… It’s a floor where many employees are passing by… There are some victims but they have been taken to a nearby hospital,” Yuwono told reporters.

The accident happened in one of two towers in the complex.

“There was a sound, like something had fallen off a building structure, for about 20 seconds. Everyone was panicking and people were immediately being evacuated,” Amailia Putri Hasniawati, a journalist based at the exchange, told AFP.

A witness said it happened during lunch break time where many people were below the tower 2 floor that collapsed.

“It was very crowded here as there was a student visit programme going on when the collapse occurred,” the witness said.

National police spokesman Inspector General Setyo Wasisto said investigators would probe blueprint of the building after the incident.

“Every building has its own blueprint, so there must be information stipulating how long a building will remain strong,” he said at the police headquarters.

In 2000 at least 10 people were killed and dozens injured by a car bomb at the exchange complex.

Despite the chaos Monday, stock exchange spokesman Rheza Andhika said trade continued as usual in the afternoon session.


People Also Viewed