Kashmir

Govt to review Ramzan ceasefire in J-K

Govt to review Ramzan ceasefire in J-K

New Delhi: Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) general secretary Ram Madhav on Wednesday said the Home Ministry will review the Centre’s decision to suspend operations in Jammu and Kashmir during the holy month of Ramzan.

“This (announcement of the ceasefire) will be reviewed by Home Ministry and other concerned departments. Further course of action will be decided after the month of Ramzan,” he told ANI.

Madhav further said that the government had decided on suspension of operations as a goodwill gesture during the holy month of Ramzan, but there was no similar reciprocation from separatists and terrorists.

“Ramzan is a holy month for Muslims, so Indian Government had decided to announce the suspension of operations during this period as a goodwill gesture. We also wanted that the same to be reciprocated, but there was no change in actions of separatists and terrorists,” he said.

Last month, the Home Ministry announced that the security personnel would halt operations against terrorists in Jammu and Kashmir, during the holy month of Ramzan.

However, the Ministry clarified that the security forces retain the right to strike, if attacked or if civilians are found to be in danger.

But there has been no let-up in ceasefire violations at the LoC, and sporadic incidents of militants striking security forces continue.

On that note, terrorists fired an Under Barrel Grenade Launcher (UBGL) at a police station in Pulwama today.

The grenade landed outside Lassipora police station here, following which the guard on duty retaliated with aerial firing.

On Tuesday, two police personnel were killed and three others injured in a terrorist attack in Pulwama.

Meanwhile, four Border Security Force (BSF) personnel lost their lives and three others sustained injuries in a ceasefire violation by Pakistan in Chambliyal sector of Samba in the wee hours of Wednesday morning. (ANI)