Hyderabad Subway outlet shut after serving cockroaches in drink

Hyderabad Subway outlet shut after serving cockroaches in drink
Representational picture (YouTube Screengrab)

Hyderabad: An outlet of fast food giant Subway inside the Hyderabad Central Mall premises in Punjagutta got shut down on Thursday after a consumer lodged police complaint on finding cockroaches in an aerated drink that it served. The outlet also got notice issued by Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC) officials for unhygienic conditions.

Marunganti Vamshikrishna Reddy on May 16 took to social media to highlight the incident. He informed Times of India that his daughter after sipping on the drink felt something moving in her mouth. “When she spat it out, I found two live cockroaches. When I checked the cup and the lid, I found a few more,” Reddy added. After confronting the staff, he was asked by the staff to inspect the kitchen, where a female staffer rebuked him for entering the kitchen and blamed him for ‘misbehaviour’, Reddy said.

Also Read: London-‘Subway’ employee serves bread from trash bin

Reddy said that the kitchen was infested with cockroaches, moreover, the staff was also reusing lids and cups. On seeing this, the complainant approached Punjagutta police and GHMC’s food safety department demanding action.

“We suspect that the staff had cleaned the outlet before we reached for inspection. Despite that, we found cockroaches in the storage room. We have served a notice to the owner who has decided to permanently close the outlet,” said Bhargav Narayana, the health and medical officer at GHMC.