New Delhi: Newly-appointed Minority Affairs Minister (Independent Charge) Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi on Wednesday said the loot lobby under Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s regime has stopped, adding that the ministry has grown more powerful in the last two years.
“After independence, if the money allotted for the people of the minority community would have been used properly, then they would not have been below poverty line. Under the Prime Minister’s regime, the loot lobby has stopped and we are working for the development of the minority community,” Naqvi told ANI.
Asserting that he would try to fulfil the expectations and responsibilities of the ministry with honesty and integrity, Naqvi said the government has to make the ministry even more powerful.
“Our primary goal is to address the people’s problem and progress towards development. If the money allotted for the development of the minority community is used properly, I think they will have socio-economic progress,” he added.
Najma Heptulla yesterday resigned from the Ministry of Minority Affairs, citing personal reasons.
President Pranab Mukherjee yesterday accepted the resignations of Heptulla and Minister of State for Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises G.M. Siddeshwara with immediate effect.
Babul Supriyo has now been given the charge of the ministry of heavy industries and public enterprises.
Supriyo has been relieved of the charge of minister of state in the ministry of urban development, and minister of state in the ministry of housing and urban poverty alleviation.
The resignations come a week after Prime Minister Modi carried out a major expansion and reshuffle of his Cabinet earlier on July 5.
The exercise saw induction of 19 new faces in the ministry and changes in key portfolios of several ministers. (ANI)