Karaikal: A 65-year-old bed-ridden man was today charred to death after his hut caught fire near here, fire and rescue officials services said.
The fire broke out in one of the huts at Keeraithottam this morning and it soon spread to nearby houses, they said.
At least 44 huts were gutted in the fire incident, they added.
People ran out of their houses but Mohan, an agricultural labourer, could not as he was bed-ridden, the officials said.
His wife was not at home when the incident occurred.
Six fire tenders from Karaikal, Neravy and other nearby places rushed to the spot and extinguished the fire after fighting for nearly two hours.
The exact reason for the fire is not immediately known, police said, adding a case has been registered.