Man gets sucked into MRI machine in Mumbai, died

Man gets sucked into MRI machine in Mumbai, died
Click for full image

MUMBAI: A 32-year-old man lost his life on Saturday evening after he was sucked into a Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) machine in a Mumbai hospital.

The deceased identified as Rajesh Maru, a salesman went to visit her mother who was admitted at the BYL Nair Charitable Hospital.

He entered the MRI room carrying an oxygen cylinder when no metal items are allowed.

Hospital attendant at MRI room said that the MRI machine was not switched on but MRI machine was functioning when Maru was called in, he could go in but he was pulled in by magnetic force of the machine.

Maru’s relative and the hospital attendants managed to pull him out but his body was swollen and he was bleeding heavily. He was shifted to trauma but died died within 10 minutes.

“He went there to visit my ailing mother but we did not know he would meet such a fate. We all are in shock. A ward boy told him to carry an oxygen cylinder with him to MRI room which is prohibited. It all happened because of the carelessness of hospital’s doctors and administration. No security guard was either present to tell him that he should not carry oxygen cylinder with him to MRI room,” Maru’s brother-in-law, Harish Solanki, told ANI.

“As he entered the room the MRI machine sucked him in due to the magnetic force as he had oxygen cylinder with him. He died within 2 minutes. No hospital authority has approached us accepting their mistake,” he stated.

The body has been sent for the post mortem in JJ Hospital.

The First Information Report (FIR) has been registered under Section 304A of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) against Doctor Siddhant Shah, ward boy Vitthal Chavan & one lady ward attendant Sunita Surve under Section 304 A (causing death by negligence). CCTV footage of the incident has been handed over to the police by hospital authorities. Further investigation underway.

The police said they are further investigating the matter.

ANI inputs