Mark Zuckerberg, 34, is now worth $US81.6 billion ($109.8 billion), about $US373 million more than Warren Buffett, the 87-year-old chairman and chief executive officer of investment company Berkshire Hathaway.
Facebook co-founder Mark Zuckerberg has overtaken Warren Buffett as the world’s third-richest person,
The ranking, which tracks the world’s 500 richest people, is updated after the close of each trading day in New York.
Zuckerberg, who is only behind of Amazon.com founder Jeff Bezos and Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates, eclipsed Buffett on Friday as Facebook shares climbed 2.4 percent, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index.
Despite the recent disruption caused due to the Facebook-Cambridge Analytica controversy, the company has managed to steer clear of the initial storm. During the period, Facebook’s stock fell to an eight-month low of $152.22 on March 27. The report noted that this is the first time when the three wealthiest people on the list built their immense wealth in the field of technology.
Buffett, once the world’s wealthiest person, is sliding in the ranking thanks to his charitable giving, which he kicked off in earnest in 2006. He’s donated about 290 million Berkshire Hathaway Class B shares to charities, most of it to Gates’s foundation. Those shares are now worth more than $50 billion (about Rs. 3.44 lakh crores), according to data compiled by Bloomberg. Zuckerberg has pledged to give away 99 percent of his Facebook stock in his lifetime.
The Top 5 Richest Persons in the World right now are
1. Jeff Bezos, founder of Amazon (Richest man in the world with $142 billion)
2. Bill Gates, founder of Microsoft Corporation (Second-richest man in the world with $94.2 billion)
3. Mark Zuckerberg, founder of Facebook (Third-richest man in the world with $81.6 billion)
4. Warren Buffett, chairman, Berkshire Hathway (Fourth-richest man in the world with $81.2 billion)
5. Amancio Ortega, founder and former chairman of Inditex fashion group (Fifth-richest man on the planet with $76.1 billion)