Kolkata : Kolkata’s Presidency University has got its own museum inaugurated by West Bengal Governor K N Tripathi yesterday.
The museum is built in the Derozio Hall of the university’s iconic college street campus.
ABOUT THE MUSEUM:
- The museum contains items which depict the history of the premier educational institution, which is 200-year-old
- It has been curated by Swapan Chakraborty who is the former director general of the National Library and a distinguished professor of Presidency University
- The museum will reflect the intellectual heritage of the college-turned-university in a tangible manner
- It will showcase its history since its foundation in 1817 as it has put together exhibits of all kinds of institutional records
EXHIBITIONS IN THE MUSEUM:
- The attendance record of the rare exhibits like legendary scientist J.C Bose
- A copy of Newton’s Principia Mathematica edition
- An edition of the magazine of the erstwhile Presidency College containing Nobel laureate Amartya Sen’s article in Bengali ‘Bigyaponer Arthonity’ (Economics of Advertisement) as a student of economics
- The attendance records of physicist Satyendra Nath Bose and astrophysicist Meghnad Saha are also on display
- A published copy of the college magazine issue which contains a speech by Rabindranath Tagore is also among the exhibits