Pyongyang: North Korea is planning on reopening communications channels with South Korea according to its recently released official statement today.
According to a North Korean official, the country is reopening the suspended inter-Korean communication line later today.
Ri Son-Kwon had declared this on state television. He is the head of North Korea’s agency that handles inter-Korean affairs adding that Kim Jong Un had made the request to allow discussions about sending a delegation to February’s winter Olympics that will be held in South Korea.
According to other reports, the official statement has also hinted at creating ties with the neighbouring country South Korea.
South Korea had earlier offered to hold talks with North Korea at “truce village” called the Panmunjeom. This is where North Korea is planning to reactivate the delegation channel.
The official announcement from North Korea comes two days after Kim Jong Un had told he is open for discussions regarding Olympics with South Korea.
Yoon Young-chan, South Korea’s press secretary speaking about the new developments said, “I believe it signals a move toward an environment where communication will be possible at all times,” reported Yonhap.
South Korea’s Unification Ministry has reportedly attempted to contact North Korea at 9 a.m. on Tuesday via hotline at Panmunjom, but had got no response said Korea’s public international broadcaster KBS.
North Korea had cut the channel between the two countries in February 2016 after South Korea shutdown a joint commercial project in response to rocket launches by North Korea.
Earlier last month, both the countries had a two-hour long discussion in China about the Olympics said the sources.
It was during that speech, Kim had said he had a “nuclear button” on his desk to what Trump had today responded saying he also has a “bigger and more powerful” nuclear button reports business insider.