Washington: After Pyongyang threatened to cancel the much-awaited summit with Washington DC, President Donald Trump cautioned, saying “we’ll see’.
Trump said the US government hasn’t been informed about any change in plans for the June 12 meeting.
Trump said “We haven’t been notified at all. We’ll have to see. We haven’t seen anything. We haven’t heard anything. We will see what happens. Whatever it is, it is,” as quoted by Jakarta Post.
Clouds gather over upcoming North Korea-United States summit as the reclusive nation threatened to cancel the much-anticipated summit, if Washington unilaterally pushes Pyongyang into giving up its nuclear arsenal.
If America “corners us and unilaterally demands we give up nuclear weapons we will no longer have an interest in talks and will have to reconsider whether we will accept the upcoming DPRK-US summit”, state media quoted vice-foreign minister Kim Kye-gwan as saying.
The US-North Korea Summit is, as of now, scheduled to take place on June 12 in Singapore.
The US is pressing for Pyongyang’s complete, verifiable and irreversible denuclearisation.
Earlier North Korea called off the high-level talks with South Korea, scheduled for Wednesday to discuss follow-up measures to the two Korean leaders’ summit last month, in the wake of the recent military drills between South Korea and the US.
After calling off the scheduled Korean summit, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, according to media reports, had then also hinted at calling off the United States summit.
The military drills called ‘Max Thunder’ are taking place between the US and South Korea air forces.
These rehearsals are said to be meant for an invasion of North Korea and could negatively impact the melting inter-Korean relations, North’s Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) .(ANI)