- 1 big onion, cut into quarters
- 1 cup yellow lentils (arhar or toover daal)
- 3 Tbsp sambar masala
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 3 Tbsp thickish tamarind pulp or 1 tsp tamarind concentrate
- 1 cup mixed vegetables, cut into approx.1
- 2-3 whole dry red peppers
- 1 Tbsp chopped coriander leaves to garnish
- 7-8 leaves of curry leaves
- Cook daal with salt, till absolutely tender, no grains remain.
- Add sambar masala, sugar and vegetables, including the onions, and cook till the vegetables are tender, and add tamarind. Heat oil in a saucepan and add the mustard seeds.
- When they splutter, add the whole red peppers and the curry leaves. Turn around 2-3 times, then add the daal mixture.
- Bring to a boil, and then simmer for about 5 minutes, Serve hot garnished with the coriander leaves.