WASHINGTON: The West Hollywood City Council has passed a resolution asking the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce to remove Donald Trump’s star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
Since Trump joined politics, his Walk of Fame star has been vandalized a number of times, reports Entertainment Weekly.
West Hollywood Mayor John Duran tweeted about the move on Monday night (local time).
“The West Hollywood City Council did not pass the resolution because Donald Trump is a conservative or a Republican. Earning a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame is an honor. When one belittles and attacks minorities, immigrants, Muslims, people with disabilities or women — the honor no longer exists,” Duran said a statement to NBC News.
Recently, on July 25 a man named Austin Clay destroyed Trump’s star using a pickaxe. Earlier in 2016, a man named James Lambert Otis destroyed the star with a pickaxe and sledgehammer.
President and CEO of the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, Leron Gubler, previously told by Entertainment Weekly that his organisation is working with Police over the issue; he added that this is something they will do for any Walk of Fame star, in case one was vandalized.
On a related note, the Hollywood Historic Trust had planned to restore Trump’s star immediately but added that it will require several days.