According to the news published in India Today, Sheikh Abdullah founded National Conference and he was head of the government three times.
It may be mentioned that this is his 112 birth anniversary.
Here are the 10 things about him as reported by India Today
- He was appointed as second Prime Minister of Jammu and Kashmir in 1948.
- During his education in Aligarh Muslim University, he witnessed workers protest which motivated him to struggle for people of Jammu and Kashmir State.
- He agitated against the rule of Maharaja Hari Singh and launched “Quit Kashmir” agitation for which he was sentenced to three years imprisonment.
- In 1953, he was again imprisoned for 11 years in “Kashmir Conspiracy Case”. He was accused of conspiring against the state.
- In 1975, after Indira-Sheikh accord, he became Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir.
- To explore vaiours possibilities to resolve Kashmir issue, in 1964 he visited Pakistan.
- Urdu poets Hafiz Jullundhri, Josh Malihabadi and Faiz Ahmad Faiz dedicated poems to him for his struggle.
- The marriage of Urdu poet Faiz Ahmad Faiz and his wife Alys was performed by him.
- Atish-e-chinar (Flames of chinar), his biography by MY Taing, Kashmiri author was published after his death.
- His funeral procession was miles long. Mohammad Hidayatullah, the then president of India also paid his tribute.