NEW DELHI: Days after UP Shia Central Waqf Board Chairman Wasim Rizvi wrote a letter to PM Modi and UP CM Adityanath Yogi urging to shut down madrasas, alleging that education imparted in these Islamic schools encouraged Muslim students to join terrorist ranks, Union Minister for Minority Affairs Mukhtar Abbasi Naqvi lashed out at media.
Talking to News18, Naqvi said, “There are some mad people who are raising absurd questions about madrasas. I am also unhappy with the media, why they ask questions and make it an issue. Nor the government, neither the BJP is raising questions on madrasas.”
“I have studied in a madrasa, am I a terrorist? I am really hurt and sad by the way people are defaming madrasas. Debate and concern should be on issues like timely disbursal of salaries of madrasa teachers,” he said.
“The madrasas of this country have contributed towards the growth of the nation and have also played a great role in our freedom struggle. There have been some isolated cases in which respective state governments are taking necessary steps. Recently, the UP government had asked the madrasas about their funding and other details, nearly 90% have given their details so far. You cannot see all the madrasas with the same point of view, it is not correct,” he added.
Speaking to ANI, Shia Central Waqf Board chairman Wasim Rizvi asked, “How many Madrasas have produced engineers, doctors, IAS officers? Yes but some Madrasas have produced terrorists.”
On Tuesday, in a letter to the prime minister, the Shia body demanded that madrassas should be replaced by schools that are affiliated to the CBSE or the ICSE and they should allow non-Muslim students too.
“These schools should be affiliated to CBSE, ICSE, and allow non-Muslim students.