New York: US federal prosecutors have filed terrorism charges against the suspect of Tuesday’s truck attack in New York which left eight people dead and 13 others injured.
Acting US Manhattan Attorney Joon Kim announced the charges at a news conference in New York on Wednesday, Xinhua news agency reported.
The suspect – Sayfullo Habibullaevic Saipov, 29, is now in custody and had been planning what is called the worst terror attack in New York since September 11, 2001, “for a number of weeks,” John Miller, NYPD Deputy Commissioner of Intelligence and Counterterrorism, said at a press conference.
“He did this in the name of IS (Islamic State),” Miller said, citing some notes recovered at the scene.
On Tuesday afternoon, Saipov, a Uzbek immigrant, drove a pickup truck down a busy bike path in Lower Manhattan, killing eight and injuring 13. He was shot by police and then sent to a hospital.