Washington: Musician Tom Petty’s cause of death has been revealed. The chart-topping singer died from an accidental drug overdose as a result of mixing medications.
Ending the mystery, surrounding the sudden death of 66-year-old, who died in October 2017, the medical examiner-coroner for the county of Los Angeles announced that Petty’s system showed traces of the drugs fentanyl, oxycodone, temazepam, alprazolam, citalopram, acetyl fentanyl and despropionyl fentanyl, reports CNN.
The ‘I Won’t Back Down’ hit-maker suffered a cardiac arrest at his Malibu home on October 2, 2017.
Reportedly, the ‘Free Fallin’ hit-maker’s official death certificate, which was released about a week later, listed his cause of death as “deferred” pending an autopsy.
In a statement posted to Petty’s Facebook page on Friday, his wife, Dana, and daughter, Adria, wrote that he suffered from “many serious ailments including emphysema, knee problems and most significantly a fractured hip”, but that he continued to tour, worsening his conditions.
“On the day he died, he was informed his hip had graduated to a full-on break and it is our feeling that the pain was simply unbearable and was the cause for his overuse of medication”, the statement said.
They said: “We knew before the report was shared with us that he was prescribed various pain medications for a multitude of issues including Fentanyl patches and we feel confident that this was, as the coroner found, an unfortunate accident”.
“As a family, we recognise this report may spark a further discussion on the opioid crisis and we feel that it is a healthy and necessary discussion and we hope in some way this report can save lives,” Petty’s family said. “Many people who overdose begin with a legitimate injury or simply do not understand the potency and deadly nature of these medications”.
The singer found fame with hits like ‘American Girl’ and ‘Breakdown’. (ANI)