WHAT IS PATIENCE?
Patience is to hold one’s soul from being impatient and displeased, holding the tongue from complaining and the body parts from harming himself or others. The patience is mentioned at many places in Quran and Sunnah of the beloved Prophet (SallAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam), which shows the virtues and greatness of Patience. In the Arabic language, (Sabr) Patience means to confine or contain.
PATIENCE IN ISLAM:
Patience has great status in the sight of Allah Almighty and in Islam. Patience is of best from deeds and has the great reward with no limit. Allah Almighty said in Holy Quran:
“Only those who are patient shall receive their rewards in full, without Hisaab (without limit, calculation, and estimation).”
There is great reward only for those among us who are patient with the Decree of their Lord. In this world, we face many difficulties or trials and sufferings but we have to be patient because Allah Almighty loves those who did Patience (Sabr) in a difficult time.
As Islam is a complete code of life and it guides and teach us in every sphere of life. So it teaches us we have to do patience in our difficult situation in this way we have the strong belief on Almighty Allah that He will never leave us alone. In Quran, Allah said: “And be Patient. Surely, Allah is with those who are patient.”
Allah said to those who are facing difficulties or trials that He is with them by guiding and supporting them and granting them a clear victory. Allah said:
“Surely, Allah is with those who are As‑Saabiroon (the patient)”
From this ayat of Holy Quran, we can say that no matter what’s the situation we are facing we should be faithful and patient as Allah is with us He will never leave us alone.
THE REWARD OF PATIENCE:
A person who loves Almighty Allah finds it much easier to be patient and to persevere. This is because he sees everything as coming from Allah, and if it comes from Allah, there must be a reason for it. A person who loves wants the Beloved to see him in the best of states, and so he proves the best of patience. Patience is a virtue, which enables the individual to proceed towards worthy goals.
So many times in our lives something happens to us and we feel that this is the worst thing that can happen to us. But then after the trial, when relief and ease come, we realize that the difficult times had happened for good to come. So, it is important that believers have to be patient and know that Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta’ala) is sufficient for us and is the best arranger of all our affairs. He will guide us to that which is good for us in this life and Hereafter too.
If we don’t get the reward of Patience in this world then it will surely be saved by Almighty Allah for the Hereafter that will never end. Our beloved Prophet Muhammad (SallAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) said:
“Whoever persists in being patient, Allah will make him patient. Nobody can be given a blessing better and greater than patience.”
BENEFITS OF PATIENCE:
Patience is the great virtue and significance of patience that we will recover with great rewards and benefits. Some of these rewards and benefits are immediate and others are longer-term. Among the many benefits of patience in Quran and Sunnah are the following:
PATIENCE IN HOLY QUR’AN:
There are more than ninety verses in the Holy Quran about the virtues and benefits of patience. Some of are given below:
- From those People who have patience are the rightful people to lead so we can say leadership comes with patience as Allah said in Quran:
- “And We made from among them leaders guiding by Our command when they were patient and [when] they were certain of Our signs.”
- (Quran, 32:24)
- With patience you will get all good things as Almighty Allah says in Quran:
- “But if you endure patiently, verily, it is better for As-Sabirin.”
- (Quran, 16:126)
- If you are patient in all your sufferings then the patient ones will receive plenty of rewards for their good deeds. Allah says in Holy Quran:
- “Only those who are patient shall receive their rewards in full, without reckoning.”
- (Quran, 39:10)
- Allah is with those who are patient. He says in Holy Quran:
- “And be patient. Surely, Allah is with those who are As-Sabirin.”
- (Quran,8:46 )
- Patience is something that is recommended by Almighty Allah which means it requires determination. Allah said in Holy Quran:
- “And verily, whosoever shows patience and forgives that would truly be from the things recommended by Allah.”
- (Quran, 42:43)
- Those who will remain patient will enter into Paradise. Allah said in Quran:
- “Those will be rewarded with the highest place (in Paradise) because of their patience. Therein they shall be met with greetings and the word of peace and respect.”
- (Quran, 25:75)
PATIENCE IN SUNNAH OF PROPHET MUHAMMAD (SAW):
There are so many examples related to Patience in the life of Prophet Muhammad (SallAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) that we should consider and practiced in our daily lives while facing some trials or difficulties. Some of the sayings of Prophet Muhammad (SallAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) related to patience are given below:
- The Holy Prophet Muhammad (SallAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) said that the Patience is illumination. “As-Sabr (the patience) is illumination.”
- [Muslim 223].
- The one who’s beloved ones or relatives die and endures patiently, Allah will also admit him to Paradise as a recompense of his patience. He (SallAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) said: “Allah says, ‘I have nothing to give but Paradise as a reward to my salve, a true believer of Islamic Monotheism, who, if I cause his dear friend (or relative) to die, remains patient (and hopes for Allah’s Reward).’”
- [Al- Bukhari]
- The reward of being patient while the true believer is afflicted with any kind of calamities and trials. Holy Prophet (SallAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) said: “No fatigue, nor disease, nor sorrow, nor sadness, nor hurt, nor distress befalls a Muslim, even if it were the prick he receives from a thorn, but that Allah expiates some of his sins for that.”
- Holy Prophet (SallAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) said: “The believer who mixes with people and bears their annoyance with patience will have a greater reward than the believer who does not mix with people and does not put up with their annoyance.”
- [Ibn Majah]
- Be mindful of Allah and be patient as Prophet (SallAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) said: “Verily, patience is at the first strike”
- [Sahih Bukhari]
There is great judgment behind the trials and tests we go through in our difficult time. All the calamities we face and the troubles which come on our way are character builders which make us stronger than before. May Allah gives us the strength to face difficulties with Patience!