New Delhi: Two minors died on Tuesday in a fire that broke out in a four-storey building in the national capital, a fire officer said.
The fire broke out around 1 p.m on the first floor of a house owned by one Aehsaan Malik in Abdul Fazal area of Shaheen Bagh here.
“Six fire tenders, four ambulances and one DDMA (District Disaster Management Authority) vehicles reached the site and launched the rescue operation. The fire broke out on the first floor and spread from there to the second and third floors,” DCP Chinmoy Biswal said.
The fire fighters were able to control the fire on upper floors but the first floor got completely burnt, Biswal said.
“Some women members of the family were present at the time of fire who were rescued by the police team and locals,” he said.
“Aehsaan’s minor daughter Aisha, 6, and his nephew, Zaid, 7, were killed in the fire. They got trapped on second floor as the blaze had engulfed the stairs,” the fire officer said. They were later rushed to a local hospital but died during the treatment.
According to the DCP, the reason of fire seems to be a short circuit.
Aehsaan ran a furniture showroom in the basement and first floor of the four-storey building.