Washington: United States President Donald Trump has said there is a “very good chance” that US-China trade deal will happen.
He also further indicated that “more good news” is yet to come, after meeting Chinese Vice Premier Liu He in the Oval Office on Friday.
“I think we both feel there’s a very good chance the deal will happen,” Trump said, adding that the group of negotiators has “been making a lot of progress,” CNN quoted Trump as saying.
Earlier in the day, Trump took to Twitter to announce that China has committed to buy an additional 10 million metric tonnes of US soybeans.
“In Oval Office meeting today, the Chinese committed to buy an additional 10 million metric tonnes of US soybeans. Hats off to @POTUS for bringing China to the table. Strategy is working. Show of good faith by the Chinese. Also indications of more good news to come,” tweeted Trump.
Echoing the same, the China vice premier said through a translator, “We believe that it is very likely that it will happen and we hope that we’ll have a deal. The Chinese side is ready to make our ultimate effort.”
In a bid to end their trade war that was started last year, the United States and China are holding talks at regular interval to reach a consensus on trade. The previous round of talks took place in Beijing last week.
It is important for these talks to reach certain agreements as the truce period of 90 days, mutually decided by Trump and China’s President Xi Jinping, is scheduled to end on March 1.
Trump has threatened to raise tariffs on the US$ 200 billion of Chinese products from 10 per cent to 25 per cent. However, on Tuesday, Trump suggested that he might extend the March 1 deadline citing that the talks are going “very well.”