BAREILLY: Gulab Khan, who spent the past 12 years in prison on terror attack charges walked out of Bareilly Central Jail on Saturday as a free man.
When the verdict came on Friday, the 48-year-old man, wrongly convicted in the terror attack case has been proved innocent by the court.
Khan, according to a report in the Times Of India, used to run a welding shop in Bareilly’s Baheri town was put behind bars in February 2008 after he was accused of involvement in the terror attack.
He was sentenced to 12 years to life in prison.
‘No one can return my 12 years’
Khan, who has always maintained his innocence, and the facts bear that out, spoke to the media and said that no one can bring back the twelve years that he spent in prison but thanked Almighty for giving him a new life.
“I had no connection with the terror attack but I was still framed. When I was arrested in this case, I thought that my life and also of my family had been destroyed. The thought of being framed in a terror case was scary. Over the years, I had severe anxiety pangs and thought that I might die of a heart attack.”
“When I stepped outside of the jail, I thanked God. It feels good to breathe in the open air. I will start afresh.”
Khan left behind his family grieving and lost his mother and aunt.
Khan’s wife, Nazra took up tailoring and his three kids (now aged 17, 15 and 13 years, had to discontinue their studies due to financial problems.
A long time in coming
This is a happy day for Khan and his family.
When Khan, loaded with garlands returned home on Saturday, the whole locality including kin and neighbors visit his house to welcome him.
Khan request the government to provide him and his family financial
assistance on humanitarian grounds to start a news lease of life.
“Now, the court has acquitted me in this case and I would request the government to help me and my family on humanitarian grounds so that we can lead a dignified life,” said Khan.