Yogi govt withdraws 20 more Muzaffarnagar riots cases

LUCKNOW: The Yogi Adityanath government in Uttar Pradesh has allowed 20 more cases of Muzaffarnagar riots to be withdrawn.

With this, the total numbers of cases withdrawn in the 2013 Muzaffarnagar riots has reached 74.

The cases, which have been allowed to be withdrawn by the government, were registered on behalf of the police and the public.

MS Education Academy

“The documents related to these cases have been forwarded to the District Prosecutor’s Officer and other concerned departments,” said Amit Kumar Singh, SDM, Muzaffarnagar, as per News18 reports.

All these cases were related to arson, robbery and rioting and were registered at the Fugana police station. Some of the cases are also registered at Bhaurakala, Jansath, New Mandi and Kotwali police stations.

The Yogi government has been in the process of withdrawing the cases in the Muzaffarnagar riots since last year. Before the Lok Sabha elections, seven rulings had come up till March 8, allowing withdrawal of 48 cases.

Five cases have been disposed of in the court, while in one case, the police have filed a final report. After the Lok Sabha elections, three rulings have been issued, allowing the withdrawal of 20 cases marked by riots.

Bharatiya Janata Party MLA Umesh Malik said that the government has allowed 20 more cases to be withdrawn. The district administration has got the orders in this regard, he said.

The Yogi government has so far allowed withdrawal of 74 cases from 92 riot cases marked. The process of withdrawal of 18 cases is still in progress.

More than 500 people were booked by the police after the communal riots where 6,867 people were accused.

The clashes that broke out in Muzaffarnagar and Shamli districts of Uttar Pradesh between the Hindu and Muslim communities claimed 62 lives while injuring 93 others and rendering more than 50,000 homeless.

The riots took place over a minor altercation between Hindu and Muslim youths at Kawal village in Muzaffarnagar district.

Described as the “the worst violence in Uttar Pradesh in recent history,” the 2013 riots saw the Indian Army deployed in the state for the first time in 20 years.

Subscribe us on The Siasat Daily - Google News
Back to top button