Delhi News

Over 2000 madrassas and mosques under police radar

Over 2000  madrassas and mosques under police radar

BIJNOR/MEERUT: Around 2000 madrassas and mosques are under police surveillance after five youths aged between 19 and 25 have been reportedly arrested on this Thursday in Bijnor for plotting terror attacks in Delhi and UP, according to Times of India.
While the other four where released, Faizan the Imam of local mosque was held for further interrogation.
Since the youths were from different states, a joint operation was taken up by 6 states. Eight students were detained, two of which were detained in Maharashtra, while six of them were interrogated by the UP Anti-Terrorist Squad team.
Since the detained students “were impressionable students who studied in different madrassas”, the attention of law enforcement agencies is now squarely on the madrassas and mosques dotting this swathe of Uttar Pradesh, police said.
The data collected by the Minority Affairs Department, shows there are about 1,500 mosques in the area under police radar and 500 madrassas, out of which 15 are degree level and 55 are high school level.
“Police and other security agencies will keep a strict vigil over religious institutions across Bijnor and neighbouring areas and also keep track of outsiders in their premises. We will also seek the help of responsible citizens and members of civil society to frequently visit these institutions and places and keep sensitising youngsters in order to prevent them from falling into the radicalisation trap” said Ajay Sahani, Superintendent of police, Bijnor.
“All those taken away by the UP ATS have been released. Their parents were called to Noida and their wards were handed over to them, but with a warning,” said Ajay.
He added “These youths were in touch with a terror module which was planning attacks at various locations. The youths held by UP ATS from Bijnor were closely associated with Faizan, who used to radicalise them. Security agencies have also found IS literature in their possession.”
Though the youths were released, for six months “every activity of theirs will be under scrutiny” by the security agencies said the police sources.