Patna : With Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar giving his consent for a CBI probe in the murder case of journalist Rajdeo Ranjan in Siwan district, Director General of Police (DGP) P.K. Thakur today said the state police would continue its investigation till the top investigating agency takes up the case.
Addressing a press conference along with the Chief Minister, Thakur said the former has announced that the case be handed over to the CBI, adding a proposal is being sent to the top investigating agency for the same.
The DGP, however, downplayed a media poser that 23 people were on the ‘hit list’ of former RJD lawmaker Mohammed Shahabuddin.
“We cannot divulge the details of the investigation.The accused can take advantage of the same,” he said.
Thakur further said that it would not be appropriate to make any comment till the time the shooters are not arrested.
“Once the shooters are arrested and the weapons used in the murder are recovered.Then only we can ascertain,” he added when asked whether the police investigation into the murder case was moving towards political intervention.
Expressing shock over the journalist’s killing, the Chief Minister earlier said that he has given consent for a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the murder case.
He said a formal announcement in this regard will be made soon, adding the request will be sent to the Centre for a CBI inquiry into the murder case in Siwan district.
The Chief Minister said he has given his approval for a CBI probe in view of the demand of the slain journalist’s relatives.
The slain journalist’s wife Asha yesterday demanded a CBI probe into his murder to ensure that the culprits get stringent punishment.
“I demand from the government a CBI probe and a secured future for my children and me. The culprit must be given stringent punishment,” she said.
When asked if her husband had ever mentioned about any threat to his life, Asha said that she did not have any knowledge about it as her husband never talked about it.
She, however, told ANI in Siwan: “He only mentioned once about receiving threat regarding his profession after BJP leader Shrikant Bharti’s murder.”
42-year-old Ranjan was allegedly shot dead by criminals near the Siwan railway station earlier on Friday.
Two bullets were fired at the Siwan bureau chief of Hindi daily Hindustan that hit on his head and neck. He was shifted to a hospital, where the doctors declared him brought dead. (ANI)