Friday , October 14 2016
Home / News / Islamic World / Egypt may take legal action over ‘false’ tolls under new law

Egypt may take legal action over ‘false’ tolls under new law


Cairo , July 06: Egypt may take legal action against journalists who report “false” military death tolls in jihadist attacks that contradict official statements, if a new anti-terrorism law is approved, officials said today.

President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, who called for tougher laws following the assassination of his top prosecutor last week, is expected to approve the law within days.

The cabinet has already approved the draft law.

Article 33 of the draft law, published in several Egyptian newspapers, stipulates a minimum two-year sentence for “reporting false information on terrorist attacks that contradicts official statements”.

The law also opens up the possibility of deportation and house arrest.

Two officials, including Justice Minister Ahmed al-Zind, confirmed the wording of the law.

Zind said the law was prompted in part by coverage of Islamic State group attacks on Egyptian soldiers in the Sinai Peninsula on July 1.

The military spokesman said 21 soldiers and more than 100 militants were killed in the attacks and ensuing clashes, after security officials said dozens more soldiers had been killed.

The government has accused foreign media who reported the higher death toll of exaggerating troop casualties.

“The day of the attack in Sinai some sites published 17, then 25, then 40, then 100 dead,” Zind said.

Zind said such reports affected the “morale” of the country.

“There was no choice but to impose some standards,” he said. “The government has the duty to defend citizens from wrong information.”

“I hope no one interprets this as a restriction on media freedoms. It’s just about numbers (in death tolls),” he said.

“If the army says 10 died, don’t report 20.”

The country has been fighting a jihadist insurgency in Sinai since the army, then led by Sisi, overthrew Islamist president Mohamed Morsi in 2013.

The attacks have killed hundreds of policemen and soldiers, while more than 1,400 people, mostly Morsi supporters, have been killed in a crackdown on protests.

Read Also

Syrian men carry injured people amid the rubble of destroyed buildings following a reported air strike on the rebel-held northwestern city of Idlib on September 29, 2016.

In a statement the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said that at least five air strikes hit various areas in the city of Idlib. / AFP PHOTO / Omar haj kadour

Syria violence: Airstrikes and shelling leave 20 dead