Melbourne: Australian pace spearhead Mitchell Starc, who has recovered from his long ankle injury, is all set to make a comeback in the ODI tri-series to be played in West Indies.
The 25-year-old was excluded from the ongoing World T20 after he failed to recover fully from a foot fracture sustained during the opening day of the historic day-night Test against New Zealand in Adelaide.
Reflecting on his inclusion, national selector Rod Marsh said that the team were pleased to have him back and expressed his confident about Starc’s fitness for the series.
“Mitchell has progressed very well in his rehab and the medical staff are confident he will be fit to play in this series.It is extremely pleasing to have a bowler of his calibre back in the side,” Marsh was quoted as saying by ESPNcricinfo.
Besides Starc, other notable selection include uncapped batsman Travis Head while Test spinner Nathan Lyon have also earned call-up in the 16-man squad.
Marsh said that Lyon had bowled extremely well in the West Indies in previous years and that they were hoping to see the same kind of performance from him.
Fast bowler Nathan Coulter-Nile, who had not played in an ODI series since the tour of England last year, has also been named for the tri-series, which will also feature South Africa.
Australia will play their opening match against West Indies in Guyana on June 5.
Steven Smith (captain), David Warner (vice-capt), George Bailey, Nathan Coulter-Nile, James Faulkner, Aaron Finch, John Hastings, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Usman Khawaja, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Mitchell Starc, Matthew Wade, Adam Zampa.(ANI)