Tuesday , December 6 2016
Home / News / ICC bans Hong Kong’s Irfan Ahmed for 18 months

ICC bans Hong Kong’s Irfan Ahmed for 18 months

icc-logo

Dubai : The International Cricket Council on Wednesday announced that it has suspended Hong Kong all-rounder Irfan Ahmed for two years and six months for breaching the ICC Anti-Corruption Code.

Ahmed was provisionally suspended by the ICC on November 4. This followed an investigation carried out by the ICC’s Anti-Corruption Unit (‘ACU’), relating in part to the activities of another individual known to the ACU and suspected of making corrupt approaches to participants.

During the investigation, the Pakistan-born player admitted that he was aware of his obligations under the Code and that his failure to report such approaches was a breach of the Anti-Corruption Code.

The ACU confirmed Ahmed was not charged with any offence involving corruption, but he failed to disclose to it full details of approaches or invitations to engage in corrupt conduct that had been made to him between January 2012 and January 2014.

Commenting on Irfan’s suspension, Chairman of the ACU Sir Ronnie Flanagan said, “This penalty should act as a reminder to all Participants of the need to comply with their obligations under the Code at all times, and in particular the requirement to report corrupt approaches to the ACU without any delay.”

“It is pleasing to note that the investigation upon which these charges were founded originated from information that had been disclosed to the ACU. This is a clear and welcome demonstration that participants now more and more fully realize their own responsibilities in combating this scourge on the game through prompt and diligent reporting as required by the Code,” said Flanagan.

“However, it is also indicative of the worrying trend that those intent on corrupting the game are increasingly focusing their activities on Associate Member cricket and that the sport therefore needs to ensure that it is appropriately resourced and protected in that area,” he added.

Ahmed’s period of ineligibility will take effect from the date of his provisional suspension and will therefore expire on 4, May 2018. (ANI)

Read Also

preity-zinta

Bollywood actress Preity Zinta’s cousin commits suicide

8