Tuesday , August 22 2017
Home / News / India / Indefinite bandh in Nagaland called off

Indefinite bandh in Nagaland called off

Indefinite bandh in Nagaland called off
File Photo

Kohima: The indefinite bandh in Nagaland was today called off by the Joint Coordination Committee and the Nagaland Tribes Action Committee following the resignation of Chief Minister T R Zeliang.

The bandh was called on January 31 to demand scrapping of 33 per cent reservation in Urban Local Bodies polls, suspension of policemen involved in the firing that left two persons dead and resignation of the chief minister.

The decision to call off the bandh was taken after Governor P B Acharya apprised the organisers on the action taken after the resignation tendered by Zeliang, a Joint Coordination Committee (JCC) official said.

JCC would now work to achieve the desire of the people and re-establish a harmonious life in Naga society, he said.

Zeliang had already declared null and void the entire election process of ULB and transferred policemen in connection with the police firing before resigning on February 19.