Thursday , August 17 2017
Home / Entertainment / Bollywood / ’Indu Sarkar’ is definitely on emergency, says Madhur Bhandarkar

’Indu Sarkar’ is definitely on emergency, says Madhur Bhandarkar

Kolkata: Bollywood director Madhur Bhandarkar on Saturday said his next film talks about Emergency to today’s generation who do not know much about the happenings in 1975.

“’Indu Sarkar’ is definitely on Emergency. One should wait for the trailers to know the political reaction about it,” Madhur told media on the sidelines of ‘7th National Science Festival & Competition’ valedictory session in Kolkata.

“I travelled back 42 years and the shoots were wrapped up in 41 day time. The film talks about how freedom of expression and civil liberties were suppressed during those times. Emergency is a subject which today’s generation does not know,” Madhur said.

“We have a whole set-up of Delhi in 1975. We have recreated Chandni Chowk. We have collected so much materials! From radio, to typewriter to automobiles of that era. It was a very human story with which I have added fiction,” Madhur said.

The director said “Indu Sarkar” is different from his earlier movies.

“My earlier films dwelt on current affairs but ‘Indu Sarkar’ rewinds to 1975,” said Bhandarkar, who is best known for directing films like “Chandni Bar” and “Page 3”.

About reports of banning Bangladeshi filmmaker Mostofa Sarwar Farooki’s “No Bed of Roses”, starring and co-produced by India actor Irrfan Khan, Madhur said, “I feel a film should not be banned after being cleared by the Censor Board.

“I am against this. No point in banning films after Censors see the work and it is cleared,” he said about the film which is reportedly inspired by late Bangladeshi writer and filmmaker Humayun Ahmed’s life.

“Even my films have been banned in past. My ‘Calendar Girls’ had been banned in Pakistan. I feel sorry for film makers,” he said.

PTI