Jerusalem: Israel was set today to hand over the bodies of 23 Palestinians killed during recent attacks on Israelis, the army said, in an apparent bid to ease tensions.
“Today, in accordance with the instructions from the government, the army is planning to return the bodies of 23 Palestinian assailants who attacked Israeli civilians and members of security forces in the last months,” a military spokeswoman told AFP.
Palestinian medical sources in Hebron said 17 bodies to be buried in the area had already been received. Six others were to be handed over in the northern West Bank.
Since a wave of violence erupted at the start of October, 138 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces, according to an AFP count, most while carrying out attacks on Israelis.
Twenty Israelis, an American and an Eritrean have also been killed in the unrest.
Israel does not always immediately return the bodies of slain attackers.
The military spokeswoman said that after Friday’s handovers the army would have returned a total of 76 bodies and was still holding two. Police could also be holding more bodies, she said, from attacks in Israel and east Jerusalem.
Palestinian sources said the Israelis were still holding a total of 17 bodies.