Istanbul: Turkish police detained four suspects in a hunt for the attackers that targeted a police vehicle near the main tourist district in central Istanbul on Tuesday killing 11 and injuring 36 people, including seven police and four civilians.
This year Istanbul had already been hit by two bombings including in tourist areas. Both attacks were blamed on Daesh. The four suspects were taken to police headquarters in Istanbul for interrogation.
Reports said the explosion took place near the Vezneciler metro station, which is within walking distance of some of the city’s main tourist sites, including the Suleymaniye Mosque.
President Tayyip Erdogan visited the said the attack was “unforgivable”. He vowed the culprits would “pay the price for the blood they shed.”
The blast damaged the police vehicle and the windows of nearby shops were shattered. The force of the explosion has also damaged the 16th-century Sehzade Mosque considered as one of the greatest masterpieces of Ottoman architect Mimar Sinan.
Nearly 1.75 million foreigners came to Turkey in April. The attacks have had a dire effect on the tourism industry who mostly visit in summer.
The White House condemned the attack as a “horrific act” and confirmed that the US will “continue to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with Turkey in the fight against terrorism,” as the two countries confront challenges in the region.