Jabalpur: Panic struck the Sharda Chowk area here after the LPG cylinders, stored in a godown near a petrol pump exploded leading to a fire.
No one was injured in the incident, police said.
A series of explosions took place at the godown of a caterer located behind a petrol pump at Sharda Chowk area of the city, Assistant Superintendent of Jabalpur Municipal Corporation’s fire department R Patel said.
“The incident occurred today at around 2.30 am. We pressed eight fire tenders to douse the fire. As many as 22 consignments of fire tenders were used to put out the flames.
More than 25 cylinders were stored in the godown.
“It is suspected that these cylinders exploded due to a short-circuit,” Patel said.
He said that explosion created panic as the godown was located behind the petrol pump.
City Superintendent of Police (CSP) Anjulata Patle said no casualty was reported in the incident although there has been some damage to the property.
“A substantial part of the godown has been damaged due to blast of LPG cylinders and fire. We are inquiring about license of the godown. We will take legal action after the inquiry,” she said.
Sub Divisional Magistrate (SDM) Gorakhpur Arvind Singh said that action would also be take for storing such a large number of LPG cylinders.
“It is known that over 25 LPG cylinders were stored in the godown. After the inquiry, action would also be take for storing such a large number of LPG cylinders,” Singh added.