Bengaluru: Leading specialty hospital Narayana Health on Thursday unveiled a dedicated facility for orthopaedics and joint replacements in the city.
“We plan to set up a centre of excellence in orthopaedics and joint replacements on the lines of centres we have for cardiac care and oncology services, including bone marrow transplants,” said Narayana Health Chairman Devi Shetty here.
Located in the city’s upscale south-east suburb at Whitefield, the facility has a dedicated inpatient and outpatient unit and a rehab programme for patients who have orthopaedic surgical procedures.
“As a specialised centre of excellence, the facility will have an institute of academics and training for improved patient care with doctors, nurses and therapists,” said Shetty on the occasion.
The institute will offer six months fellowship programmes in basic and complex joint replacements and revision surgeries while the centre will specialise in joint replacement and revision surgeries, including spine surgeries, total and partial knee replacement and hip replacements.
The centre will also offer specialised treatments for sports injury, complex trauma and spinal surgery, besides primary and revision joint replacement surgeries for adults and children with a view to addressing orthopaedic ailments and treat them with the support of evidence-based medicine.
“As our population ages, the need for orthopaedic care is ever-increasing. There are 104 million people above the age of 60 and 71 per cent of them live in rural areas while the rest (29 per cent) stay in urban areas across the country,” noted Shetty.
As per the Orthopaedic Devices Market Forecast 2016, 25 in 1,000 people opt for an orthopaedic surgery due to osteoarthritis.
“It is our endeavour to reach out to the affected people through telemedicine and provide access to patients in remote locations to avail super-speciality orthopaedic treatment at affordable cost,” asserted Shetty.
Noting that ‘day care surgeries’ for joint replacements would minimise the cost of treatment, institute’s head R.D. Chakravarthy said quick turnover in hip and knee replacement surgeries would also reduce rate of infection.
“Day care surgeries will enable more patients to avail our services at lower cost with faster recovery and less hospital stay. We will also provide post-surgical care at home with rehab and physiotherapy during the recovery process,” added Chakravarthy.