Patna : Expressing shock over the killing of journalist Rajdeo Ranjan, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Monday said that he has given consent for a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the murder case.
He said a formal announcement in this regard will be made soon, adding the request will be sent to the Centre for a CBI inquiry into the murder case in Siwan district.
The Chief Minister, who was speaking to the media here, said he has given his approval for a CBI probe in view of the demand of the slain journalist’s relatives.
The slain journalist’s wife Asha yesterday demanded a CBI probe into his murder to ensure that the culprits get stringent punishment.
“I demand from the government a CBI probe and a secured future for my children and me. The culprit must be given stringent punishment,” she said.
When asked if her husband had ever mentioned about any threat to his life, Asha said that she did not have any knowledge about it as her husband never talked about it.
She, however, told ANI in Siwan: “He only mentioned once about receiving threat regarding his profession after BJP leader Shrikant Bharti’s murder.”
When informed that Upendra Singh’s name has figured in connection with this case and the police have detained him, she said, “I have seen Upendra calling on his mobile that’s how I know about him.”
42-year-old Ranjan was allegedly shot dead by criminals near the Siwan railway station earlier on Friday.
Two bullets were fired at the Siwan bureau chief of Hindi daily Hindustan that hit on his head and neck. He was shifted to a hospital, where the doctors declared him brought dead. (ANI)