New Delhi: Uttarakhand Chief Minister Harish Rawat has reached the CBI headquarters here for questioning in connection with the sting CD probe.
Rawat earlier told the media that as a law abiding citizen he had nothing to hide on the matter, adding he would before the CBI so that people do not get an impression that he was trying to avoid the investigating agency.
“This is a conspiracy against me, but I believe the entire nation is watching this. And very soon there will be a solution to this conspiracy.
Continuing his tirade against the BJP-led Centre for handing over the matter to the CBI, Rawat this was done when Uttarakhand was under President’s rule.
“So, the state government has in its wisdom decided to form a SIT and conveyed the same to the Government of India. So, our stand us the same even today,” he added.
The CBI had earlier rejected the notification of the Uttarakhand Government after taking legal opinion which said that there was no ground for its withdrawal.
Earlier on May 20, the Congress government in Uttarakhand decided to constitute a judicial committee to look into various issues, including incidents unfolding after March 17-18 such as horse trading, misuse of agencies and sting operation among others.
Rawat then said that it was in the wider interest of the state that this matter is handed over to a judicial commission.
The video shows Rawat indulging in horse trading a day before President’s rule was imposed in Uttarakhand on March 27.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) had alleged that the sting was proof of unfair means used by the Rawat regime to stay in power.
Rawat has maintained his innocence in the matter and termed the entire episode as a “conspiracy” to tarnish his image. (ANI)