Kurukshetra (Haryana): Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar on Sunday announced Rs 50 lakh compensation for the family on Mandeep Singh, the Indian army soldier who lost his life in an encounter with Pakistani forces in Machhil area of Jammu and Kashmir.
Mortal remains of Singh were brought to his village, Antahedi in Kurukshetra on Sunday.
Thousands of people gathered to watch the funeral process of Mandeep.
Mandeep was killed and mutilated by terrorists aided by Pakistani forces in Machhil on Friday, in retaliation for which Indian army destroyed 4 Pakistani border posts on Saturday.
The residents of Anthedi village will neither burst crackers, nor decorate their residences with hanging lights this Diwali.
Instead, they will only light a single ‘diya’ (oil lamp) at their respective homes.
“No one will celebrate Diwali this year. Our entire village mourns the death of Mandeep Singh.
Only one candle will be lit in every house for the peace of the soul of our martyrs, we are really proud of them,” Subhash Chandra, sarpanch of the village, told ANI.
Mandeep is the second soldier from Kurukshetra to be killed in the ongoing cross-border violence. His body reached the Ambala Military Hospital last evening. His last rites will be performed on Sunday morning.
Meanwhile, Haryana Chief Minister ML Khattar this morning met with the family members of the braveheart.
Sepoy Mandeep, who died in the attack, was 27 years old. The attack took place under cover fire provided by the Pakistan Army. One terrorist was killed in the strike. Terrorists, aided by the cover fire by Pakistani Army, on Friday night crossed the LoC and killed Singh and mutilated his body in Machil Sector of Kupwara district.
The attack came hours after the Border Security Force (BSF) said 15 Pakistani soldiers had been killed in retaliatory firing by the Indian troops after ceasefire violation along the international border in Jammu and Kashmir.