Thursday , October 13 2016
Home / News / Two Dhaka attack suspects detained, says Bangladesh police chief

Two Dhaka attack suspects detained, says Bangladesh police chief


Dhaka : Bangladesh Police chief A.K.M Shahidul Hoque today said that two suspects have been detained and are in police custody in connection with the Gulshan cafe attack that claimed the lives of 20 people and and two police officers.

Hoque, however, did not disclose the identities of the detainees or where they were being kept as he brief media persons at Army Stadium in Banani.

Hoque only said that they were both physically unwell and will be quizzed after their condition improves.

“One of them is in hospital, the other is in custody,” the Daily Star quoted him as saying.

Earlier in the day, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, followed by people from all walks of life, paid homage to the slain victims at Army Stadium.

Hoque also present in the stadium, he underscored the “success” of Operation Thunderbolt, the mission carried out by Bangladesh Army-led joint forces, that managed to secure 13 hostages safely out of the attack site.

“Such successful operation is a very rare instance,” he said.

He added that the names of the killed militants, who died during Operation Thunderbolt, were false names.

Nine Italians, seven Japanese, one Indian, one Bangladeshi American and two Bangladeshis were killed in the terror attack at Holey Artisan Bakery in Gulshan on Friday night.

Besides 20 people, two senior police officers-Banani Police Station officer-in-charge Salauddin Ahmed Khan and Detective Branch Assistant Commissioner Robiul Islam were killed while trying to rescue the hostages.

The 12-hour-long hostage crisis at the cafe popular with foreigners ended after a two-hour long assault by armed forces’ commandos killing six gunmen.(ANI)

Read Also


Government keen 2017-18 budget should not clash with polls: Arun Jaitley