2013 Muzaffarnagar Riots: Yogi govt. recommends withdrawal of 38 cases against 100 individuals

Lucknow: In a new chain of events, after deciding to let several leaders of the ruling party walk free charged in Muzaffarnagar riots, the Yogi government has now decided to withdraw another 38 criminal cases against 100 individuals charged in the 2013 Muzaffarnagar riots case.

According to reports, TOI has accessed the recommendation note that has been prepared by special secretary J P Singh and under-secretary Arun Kumar Rai which was sent to the Muzaffarnagar district magistrate a week ago.

According to sources, the riot cases deal with charges of dacoity, use of fire and explosive substances and defiling places of worship and outraging religious feelings while another case pertaining to obstruction to work with criminal intent and injury by a man under Section 7 of Criminal Law Amendment Act will also be withdrawn.

MS Education Academy

The government’s sanctions for withdrawal of the cases came on January 10 while the note was sent on January 29.

The Yogi government had also sought an opinion on withdrawals of at least 119 riot FIRs filed at six police stations in 2013 including Fugana, Bhaurkala, Jansath and others.

“Äfter evaluating the facts and available correspondence and documents, it has been decided after careful consideration, that the cases against accused must be withdrawn by presenting the approval before the district court,” the recommendation note said.

Last year, BJP MP Sanjiv Balyan is reported to have met CM Yogi Adityanath in Lucknow urging him to withdraw cases lodged against Hindus.

“These men involved in alleged crime had been moving one Lok Adalat to another for the past six years. These cases were not of any big crime like murder, rape, or any grievous injury. SIT, set up by then government, had given clean chit to rich and affluent people and poor people were slapped with cases. If they are Hindus, it’s not my fault. I will fight for them always and I am thankful to UP CM Yogi Adityanath,” Balyan told TOI.

The MP claims that he did not seek withdrawal of his own case (he has been charged with rioting) or sought assistance for any other legislator or MP.

“I will be appearing for my own case on February 8. So what’s wrong if I fight for these men and got their cases withdrawn?” the MP asked.

UP Governor Ram Naik has approved the recommendation note in these cases.
The note also cites CrPC Section 321, which allows withdrawal from prosecution, with the consent of court at any time before the judgment is pronounced or withdraw from the prosecution of any person in any offence.

Subscribe us on The Siasat Daily - Google News
Back to top button