Hyderabad: Thanks to the alertness of Gandhi Hospital staffers who swiftly cleared the paediatric surgical wing, a major mishap was averted as fire broke out on the third floor of the hospital premises on Thursday evening.
The hospital staff managed to evacuate the infants undergoing treatment in the paediatric wing well before the fire engulfed the ward, officials said. “As soon as we sensed the fire, we shifted the patients to other paediatric wards.
We will conduct an enquiry into the issue to know the cause of fire,” Dr. P. Sravan Kumar, superintendent, Gandhi Hospital said.
Following the incident, authorities said the power lines to the third floor of the hospital were cut off and the Fire Department was alerted.
Hospital staff said they started shifting the infants after detecting fumes in the paediatric surgical ward. Fire tenders managed to control the fire within minutes.
“We have sent two fire engines, one from Musheerbaad depot and one from Secunderabad depot. It took us about 15-20 minutes to douse the flames and get the situation under control,” said fire control room officials, adding that the property damage was under assessment.
Authored by Mohammed Hussain