New Year’s Tradition: 3 YO chokes to death after eating 12 grapes

Perth: Traditions, as we know of that which are passed on to us by our great-grandparents or family ancestors, is a sign of our culture. Yes, but some traditional practices can also claim your loved one’s life if not omitted.

Unfortunately, a Spanish tradition where children are supposed to swallow grapes in one go ended in killing a three-year-old boy on New Year’s Eve, Metro reports.

The three-year-old boy Zach Wali stopped breathing after he swallowed 12 grapes as a part of their tradition believed to bring good luck on New Year’s Eve at his home in Perth, Australia.

MS Education Academy

According to Police sources, the boy’s family are migrants from Ecuador and he was rushed to a hospital in Gijon, on Spain’s Bay of Biscay.

Despite efforts of reviving him for almost an hour in he was declared dead by the doctors.

Children are not made to participate in the tradition as eating grapes as quickly as the bell chimes is not an easy performance.

Doctors have previously warned against the practice because their shape means the could easily block the airways and they are difficult to dislodge.

Subscribe us on The Siasat Daily - Google News
Back to top button