Denver shooting suspects appear in court

Screengrab: ANI

Denver: Two teenagers suspected of opening fire and killing an 18-year-old in STEM High School in suburban Denver earlier this week, made their first appearance in court on Wednesday.

Neither of the two former students of the school, identified as Devon Erickson, 18, and Alec McKinney, 16, who were brought handcuffed to court, were formally charged, CNN reported.

Eighteen-year-old Kendrick Ray Castillo was killed and eight others sustained injuries in the shooting that took place on Tuesday.

Judicial District Attorney George Brauchler was quoted as saying that charges of first-degree murder and attempted murder will certainly be filed against the accused.

According to a law enforcement official, Erickson used two handguns from his parents to open fire. Both guns were purchased legally, the source said.

Erickson and McKinney are scheduled to appear separately in court on Friday afternoon.

However, Brauchler told reporters that prosecutors are still considering whether to try the 16-year-old suspect as an adult or not.

On Tuesday, Douglas County Sheriff Tony Spurlock had said the suspects “got deep inside the school” and opened fire at the students in two separate locations.

School authorities informed the police as soon as the incident unfolded, and students were immediately evacuated to a safer area.

The incident came within a month after Colorado marked the 20th anniversary of the Columbine High School shooting that left 12 students and a teacher dead in 1999.

(Stay up to date on all the latest World news with The Siasat Daily App. Download now for iOS & Android)

Show comments