Internet of Things (IoT) is a basic concept which means connecting any device with ‘On’ and ‘Off’ switch to the internet. The devices may include everything from mobile phones, headphones, coffee makers, and every other item which is embedded with electronics, software, sensors and network connectivity.
In simple it is a giant network of connected “things” and the relationship will be between people-people, people-things, and things-things.
It reduces human intervention and makes the task of the individual or Organisation easier.
There are three distinct stages involved in IoT technology. They include:
1. The sensors which collect data (including identification and addressing the sensor)
2. An application which collects and analyzes this data for further consolidation.
3. Decision making and the transmission of data to the decision –making server.
Some of the Applications of Internet of Things include:
1. Medicine: It helps in monitoring of health in remote areas and also in emergency response.
2. Agriculture: With the help of IoT, it is possible to integrate wireless sensors with mobile apps which can get real time information of humidity,rainfall etc on realtime .
3. Manufacturing: Ensures digitalization of supply chains.
4. Energy management: Creation of smart buildings so that energy is saved. It is also relevant to smart grid.
5. Transportation: It helps in smart traffic control, fleet management and toll collection.
6. Smart home: It is used to connect all appliances of home like fridge, washing machine, lights using phone.