Sri Lanka: Death toll in Easter Sunday bombing rose to 257

Colombo: The death toll in a series of the coordinated bombing that rocked Sri Lanka on April 21, has risen to 257 on Thursday.

The authorities of the island nation have indicated that the death toll would rise further, reported Al Jazeera.

The attack was deadliest in the last 10 years in the country. The attackers had targeted mass gathering during the celebration of Easter Sunday.

Meanwhile, the Catholic services are being canceled for the second weekend after authorities warned people for more possible attacks

Revered Edmund Tillakaratne, a spokesperson for the Colombo diocese, said, “Cardinal Malcolm Ranjith canceled all Sunday services in the diocese based on the latest security reports. ”

READ:  In India‚Äôs absence, will China be biggest beneficiary of RCEP?

The authorities last week slashed the death toll in the blasts from 359 to 253.

In the wake of the attacks, Sri Lankan authorities, last week, banned two different local Islamist groups, including the National Thowheeth Jama’ath (NTJ), and the splinter group Jamathei Millathu Ibrahim (JMI).

These two terror outfits are said to be affiliates of the Islamic States or Daesh.

The office of Sri Lanka President, in a statement issued on Sunday, further banned all kinds of face covers, including burqas, on the security grounds post the Easter Sunday blasts.

[source_without_link]ANI[/source_without_link]

Subscribe us on The Siasat Daily - Google News
Back to top button