Hyderabad: There is something special about Gandhiji that has connected all Indians through ages. He became an easy link with the masses. Perhaps, there was no other leader before him or after him who could evoke such deep feelings across sections of all Indians. Somehow, Indians become one when we remember the Mahatma.
Bollywood was no exception. Over the ages, it has given us some of the most memorable songs. Though a few of them are very old, you could see that even the youngsters feel good when they hum them.
Let’s have a look at the 10 Patriotic songs that have been put together by Roshan Bint Raheem, a budding intern with siasat.com. She says, “I know the list is neither exhaustive nor claim to cover all dimension of patriotism. But this is my way of paying tribute to the Nation on this auspicious day.”
Some of the songs do not have rights to embed, so please find some of the links which can be visited directly.
- Suno Suno Ae Duniya Waalo Bapu Ki Yeh Amar Kahani from the movie Bapu Ki Amar Kahani (1948).
Singer: Mohammed Rafi
- Ban Jao Hindustani from Jeet (1949)
Starring: Dev Anand, Suraiya and Madan Puri
- Hum Laayein Hain Toofan Se Kashti Nikal Ke from Jagriti (1954),
Singer: Mohammed Rafi
Starring: Abhi Bhattacharya, Pranoti Ghosh and Bipin Gupta
- Sabarmati ke sang tune kardiya kamal from the movie Jagriti (1954)
Singers: Asha Bhosle and Hemant Kumar.
Starring: Abhi Bhattacharya, Pranoti Ghosh and Kanu Roy
- Aaj Hai 2 October Ka Din from the movie Parivar (1956)
Singer: Lata Mangeshkar.
Starring: Usha Kiran, Durga Khote and Paidi Jairaj
- Yeh Desh hai Veer Jawano Ka from the movie Naya Daur (1957),
Singer: Mohammed Rafi and Balbir.
Starring: Dillip Kumar, Vyjayanthimala and Chand Usmani
- Chodo Kal Ki Batein from the movie Hum Hindustani (1960)
Starring: Sunit Dutt, Joy Mukherjee and Asha Parekh
- Aye Mere Watan Ke Logo (1963). Not a film song yet extremely popular.
Singer: Lata Mangeshkar
- Ae Watan Ae Watan from the movie Shaheed (1965).
Singer: Mohammed Rafi.
Starring: Manoj Kumar, Prem Chopra and Manmohan.
- Yeh Dharti Hindustan Ki from the movie Duniya (1968).
Singer: Asha Bhosle.
Starring: Dev Anand, Vyjayanthimala and Johnny Walker