Middle East

Israel warns US of possible Turkish radar deployment in Syria

The warning comes after Israeli strikes on Abu al-Duhur, which Jerusalem said targeted a potential Turkish military deployment.

Jerusalem: Israel told the United States that Turkey was preparing to deploy a radar system and air-defense assets at a Syrian airbase, Israel’s state-owned Kan TV News reported.

Israeli security officials reportedly told Washington that the alleged Turkish move could “significantly” alter the regional balance of power.

Sources familiar with the discussions told the channel that Israel did not provide a timetable for the possible Turkish deployment. Yet, they identified Abu al-Duhur military airport, which was struck by Israeli air force on Tuesday, August 18, in northwest Syria, as a potential site.

The Tuesday strikes further strained relations between Turkey and Israel. US Special Envoy for Syria Tom Barrack said Israel did not inform the United States of the attack in advance.

An Israeli official said the strikes were aimed at preventing the arrival of Turkish equipment or troops by air at the airbase, Xinhua news agency reported.

Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz said the strikes were in response to “clear intelligence” about Turkey’s intentions to act in ways that would “endanger” Israel’s security. He said Syria had received a diplomatic warning before the strike. 

Katz had said earlier on Saturday, August 22, that the army issued a direct warning to senior Syrian officials before the strikes on the Abu al-Duhur air base “in an attempt to prevent the move.”

“Following several discussions that Prime Minister [Benjamin Netanyahu] and I held with the IDF and the various security officials, it was agreed that before approval was given, a direct warning would be issued to the Syrian regime at the highest levels first in an attempt to prevent the move, and that is what was done,” Katz said.

“After the request went unanswered, the prime minister and I authorized the IDF to carry out the strike, which commenced successfully,” he added.

This post was last modified on August 23, 2026 11:47 am

Share
Indo-Asian News Service

Indo-Asian News Service or IANS is a private Indian news agency. It was founded in 1986 by Indian American publisher Gopal Raju as the "India Abroad News Service" and later renamed. The service reports news, views and analysis from the subcontinent about the country, across a wide range of subjects.

Load more...