Telangana

Constable dismissed from service over double murder in Suryapet

Hyderabad: Police constable Mohammad Sharif, the main accused in the murder of a couple in Mothey mandal of Suryapet district, has been dismissed from service.

Suryapet Superintendent of Police (SP) said that orders had been issued dismissing Sharif following departmental proceedings. Provisions of the SC/ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act have been invoked in the case, and a DSP has been appointed as investigating officer. Police are taking steps to have the case transferred to a fast-track court for a speedy trial.

The victims, Halavath Nagulu and his wife Halavath Buba, were found partially buried in an agricultural field on the outskirts of Mothe village. The couple, who belonged to Bikya Thanda in Mothe mandal, had allegedly borrowed Rs 3 lakh from Sharif. When they failed to repay the amount and allegedly threatened to file a case against him under the SC/ST Act, Sharif allegedly decided to kill them, police said.

Investigators said Sharif lured the man to the outskirts of the village on the pretext of showing sheep for a loan inspection, then struck him with a stone while he was digging a pit and buried him in it. He later allegedly brought the woman to the same spot on the pretext of taking photographs, killed her, and buried her as well, taking away her jewellery.

A second accused, Jillepalli Sunder, was also taken into custody in connection with the case. Police said they cracked the case within 24 hours using CCTV footage and technical evidence.

This post was last modified on August 22, 2026 2:23 pm

Share
Syeda Faiza Kirmani

Faiza works as the Digital News Editor at Siasat.com. She holds an MA in Mass Communication and Journalism from Osmania University. Her interest in arts and culture is reflected in her previous role as a social media manager for an organisation that promoted local artists and curated cultural events across Hyderabad.

Load more...