Bangalore

Bengaluru: Kumaraswamy urges motorists to skip NICE Road toll

Speaking to reporters in Bengaluru on Friday, August 21, Kumaraswamy alleged that the NICE company was collecting toll illegally and questioned the state government's decision to allow the continued collection of charges.

Bengaluru: Union Minister HD Kumaraswamy has once again urged motorists not to pay toll charges on the NICE Road, saying they should not be intimidated even if police cases are registered against them.

Speaking to reporters in Bengaluru on Friday, August 21, Kumaraswamy alleged that the NICE company was collecting toll illegally and questioned the state government’s decision to allow the continued collection of charges.

“I appeal to the public with folded hands — do not pay the toll under any circumstances. Do not be afraid even if an FIR is registered,” Kumaraswamy said.

He accused the NICE company of increasing toll rates at its discretion and questioned the government’s role in the matter. He also claimed that around Rs 2,000 crore had already been collected through toll charges.

“What is the connection between the NICE company and the state government? How can toll rates be increased as they wish?” he questioned.

Kumaraswamy also targeted Chief Minister DK Shivakumar over the issue. “Is D K Shivakumar functioning as the Chief Minister of Karnataka, or is he running the government as the owner of the NICE company?” he asked.

Motorists confused

His remarks have triggered confusion among motorists using the expressway. Following his earlier appeal, several vehicle owners have reportedly refused to pay toll charges, citing videos and statements circulating on social media.

However, toll plaza staff have told motorists that no official order has been issued directing them to stop paying the charges. Staff members have reportedly questioned motorists about the basis for refusing payment and whether there was any court order permitting them to do so.

The disagreement has led to arguments between motorists and toll personnel at several points. Two-wheeler riders, car owners, truck drivers and autorickshaw operators have reportedly resisted payment following Kumaraswamy’s statement.

With instances of toll refusal increasing, the toll operator has displayed notices warning motorists of possible legal action for refusing to pay the prescribed charges.

The controversy is now likely to intensify as Kumaraswamy continues to oppose toll collection while motorists face uncertainty over whether they are legally required to make the payment.

This post was last modified on August 21, 2026 8:47 pm

Share
K C Indresh Kumar

K C Indresh Kumar is a Bengaluru-based veteran journalist with over three decades of experience, contributing political reportage from Karnataka. He spent more than 25 years with The New Indian Express.

Load more...