US President Donald Trump. Photo: X
h US President Donald Trump has said the United States will maintain its blockade and pressure measures on Iran until a final nuclear agreement is formally signed, despite describing ongoing negotiations as constructive.
In a statement posted on Truth Social on Sunday, May 24, Trump said discussions between Washington and Tehran were progressing in an “orderly and constructive manner”, but stressed that his administration would not rush into a deal.
“The blockade will remain in full force and effect until an agreement is reached, certified, and signed,” Trump said.
The US President also criticised the 2015 Iran nuclear agreement negotiated under former President Barack Obama, claiming it had created a pathway for Iran to develop nuclear weapons.
Trump described the current negotiations as “the exact opposite” of the Obama-era deal and said US negotiators had been instructed to take their time during the talks.
He reiterated that Iran “cannot develop or procure a nuclear weapon or bomb”, while indicating that Washington remained open to a broader diplomatic understanding with Tehran.
Trump further thanked Middle Eastern countries for supporting regional diplomatic efforts and referred to the Abraham Accords, suggesting future cooperation in the region could expand further.
The remarks come amid continued international focus on Iran’s nuclear programme, maritime security in the Strait of Hormuz and wider tensions across the Middle East.
This post was last modified on May 24, 2026 11:35 pm